Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Athens in the Summertime

Well, my summertime has officially begun.  After a week-long break from classes, I am back to the daily grind.  During that week I had three jobs.  It was interesting.

I'll never do that again.

I began work for WOUB's traffic department editing the promos that show up on the screen between television shows.  I decide whether you see a promo about "Sewing with Nancy" or a riveting 31 second clip about the next episode of "History Detectives." For four hours. After working another five hour shift. In a room without air conditioning and windows........ I'm not complaining at all...... Seriously, though. I really am thankful for the job. It really saved me a lot of financial stress for the summer!

I don't know how I fall into these jobs.  I mean, really.

During that week, though, Tim and I had some serious spontaneity.  Which, of course, I love! He is coaching an American Legion Junior baseball team--so I get to be the supporting girlfriend through sunshine, clouds, or thunderstorms with lightning and sit out on the bleachers and watch.  I usually end up in the car due to the lightning issue.  Bleachers are metal. Don't need a "touch-down Amanda" moment. When it rains, though, time opens up for us to do whatever we want! Like, explore.  I didn't find a bird named Kevin, sadly, or a young wilderness explorer looking to help his favorite elderly man, but it was still eventful. Pictures to come soon!

Then on Thursday I headed to Michelle and Lee's wedding for Michelle's bachelorette party.  It was awesome. :)  We all had matching tanks that said "Team Bride" and our names on the back (thanks for helping, Mrs. Chiki!) and it gave me the chance to learn how to properly iron on individual letters.... and mess up a few times. ;) Unfortunately I had to miss the annual trip to CP, but hopefully there will be others to come this summer!

After providing Michelle with 13 carat plastic engagement rings, a glow-wand, a giant button that said "Bride-to-Be" and a tiara with a veil attached, we headed out to the Cheesecake Factory, went bowling, and had a dance party in her living room.  After that, a game of Boxers or Briefs.  It's not as inappropriate as it sounds and it's really hilarious.Unless you're at a bachelorette party. Then, the inappropriateness reaches new levels of immature hilarity.

Friday was an eventful day of best friend bonding and a rehearsal dinner at Savona--cute little wine bar.  Highly entertaining. Lee's family is hilarious! Our table laughed a lot.

Saturday was the wedding! We awoke to the sounds of Dana's six year old niece showing us how she has learned to play the violin. She was very excited to tell me all about how she'll be learning where to put her fingers soon....

Then off to Five Seasons for a half-up hair-do, and back to the church for pictures! Michelle was an incredibly beautiful bride!  The wedding went off without a problem and we had a blast at the reception.  Tim and I danced a lot; I guess you could say we kinda like each other. After that, we headed straight back to Athens.

Sunday was Father's Day.  I always get unfortunately sentimental on the parent days.  The older I get the more emotional I get. I wish I had an emotion power button. If I have a wedding, and I dance with my dad, I'll lose it right there. I know it. I'm already imagining the water-works. Maid-of-Honor is going to need a Sham-Wow to absorb all my tears. We drove out to Cambridge that morning to see my kid sister wreak havoc all over a softball tournament.  She's a beast and her team is great when they work together.  We stayed the entire day, hung out with the G-parents and watched my sister's team win the championship! Headed to Nationalsssss!  She did get a little injured, though, and again, brought out my emotionalness and overprotectiveness...  I haven't heard any updates yet, but she'll hear back about her knee today. Cross your fingers!

And now, back in Athens.  I'm sitting at work right now as some COMS students take a quiz.  Working til 10 and then waking back up at 7 to go back is a little rough, but I can't complain about the money (pronounced mon-eh)!

Athough this post has only been an overview of my experiences these past few weeks, my attempt this summer is going to be to blog about random thought processes and what I'm learning in life.  Stay tuned. :)

1 comment:

  1. "Don't need a "touch-down Amanda" moment." I love you. That is all.

    ReplyDelete